Pathology is the study of disease. It is the largest discipline in modern medicine which incorporates all basic sciences and all pre-clinical, para-clinical, clinical and applied sciences. The role of pathology in the healthcare system remains unchallenged. Diagnostics always had a major impact on clinical medical decisions.
Pathology is a mystery to general public. However, in reality, Pathologist is a Physicians physician. Because of lack of exposure to pathology, many rumors surround the field. Here, we address top 6 myths about Pathology and the TRUTH behind them.
- Pathology is just one specialty.
There are 18 different specialties in Pathology and the number grows every year. This includes Hematology, Cytology, Cytogenetics, Histopathology to name a few.
- Pathologists work alone in labs doing tedious repetitive jobs.
- Pathologists are members of multidisciplinary teams and work with others to care for patients.
- Without right diagnosis, there is no right treatment.
- Pathology is varied and interesting with many of the more repetitive jobs done by machines.
- Pathologists don’t diagnose cancer.
- Very few % of people know that pathologists can diagnose cancer.
- In histopathology, particularly, large part of work involves diagnosing cancer and studying tissue to work out what sort of cancer it is.
- In fact, almost all cancers need pathology guidance for diagnosis.
- Diagnosis may be made by testing blood, urine or other fluids or from biopsy.
- Pathologist is not a doctor
Pathologists are very much doctors. After completing their MBBS, they have done post-graduation in field of Pathology.
- Pathology is very easy.
Being a pathologist is one of the toughest jobs. Because a pathologist has to know not only pathology, but also Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Microbiology, and Medicine to name a few.
- Artificial Intelligence is taking over pathology.
- Artificial Intelligence has changed the practice of pathology just like many other specialties in medicine, but it will never render the pathologist obsolete.
- The skill and experience of a pathologist surpasses any artificial intelligence in laboratories.
About the Autor:
Dr. Poorva Chaudhari
MBBS, M.D. in Pathology
Dr. Poorva Chaudhari, completed her MBBS from Padmashri Dr Vithalrao Vikhe Patil Foundations medical College, Ahmednagar and completed her post-graduation (M.D) in Pathology from Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, Mumbai.
She has 5 years of experience in the field of Pathology. She has also completed course in Laboratory Management Systems and Internal Audit as per ISO 15189: 2012 guidelines.
Dr. Poorva owns a pathology lab (Swanand Pathology Laboratory). Here, all reports for patients are made simple and easy to understand manner. The lab is fully equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
The lab offers comprehensive Health Care Packages focusing on the whole person, at all ages and stages of life. Doctor Poorva believes in providing the best possible care to all our existing patients and welcome new patients.
Dr. Poorva’s mission is to offer ‘Cost effective and Quality healthcare delivery’. She is committed to better quality and patient safety. Her Vision is helping the patients to lead a productive life by our accurate diagnostic approach.