Year on the road (1)
1. Which airline had to suspend a policy allowing staff to wear gender-neutral uniforms on a flight taking the England football team to the World Cup in Qatar?
2. Which holiday destination did Boris Johnson return home from at the end of October? not run in the race for the leadership of the conservative party?
3. Which English county reintroduced the bison this year?
4. Which country hosted COP27 in November?
5. In 2022, Thailand’s Maya Bay, where the 2000 film The Beach was filmed, reopened to tourists after environmental remediation work was carried out. Which island is it on?
Flags of the world
6 to 10 These are the flags of five of the newest countries in the world: South Sudan, Montenegro, East Timor, Palau and Kosovo. Match the flags to their place.
Film and television
11. On which island is the new series of The White Lotus set?
12. The new film Empire of Light, written and directed by Sam Mendes, was filmed in which coastal city?
13. Name one of the two islands where The Banshees of Inisherin was filmed?
14. What town do the sisters run away from in the Netflix movie The Swimmers?
15. And in which city did they participate in the Olympic Games?
16. Many of us watched football there, but what is the capital of Qatar?
17. Everyone knows that New York used to be New Amsterdam, but which Canadian city was called York?
18. Boryspil is the international airport of which capital?
19. A chocolate mocha coffee (or a mochaccino) is named after the city of Mokha, an early center of the coffee trade, but in which country is it located?
20. What color are all the taxis in Mexico City – by order of the mayor?
21. What is the smallest county in Ireland?
22. What do Bolivia, Colombia, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia and Mauritius have in common?
23. Through how many countries does the equator pass: 9, 11, 13 or 15?
24. Which country recently became the only country in the world to have a female president and prime minister?
25. Which country has the most islands?
where was i born
26 to 30 These famous people were all born outside the UK. Name them and their places of birth.
31. The Song of Good King Wenceslas tells of a monarch who goes on a journey in harsh winter weather. In what present-day country was his kingdom?
32. In what country is Bethlehem today?
33. In which abbey was William the Conqueror crowned on Christmas Day 1066?
34. According to legend, candy was invented in which German city?
35. In which city were Christmas crackers invented?
Year on the road (2)
36. The world’s largest active volcano erupted for the first time in nearly 40 years last month. Where is?
37. Which annual? survey of UK hotel chains found that one group has managed to maintain its position at the bottom of the table for a decade. Which chain?
38. Which mountainous Asian country reopened a hiking trail along its entire length in 2022, after 60 years?
39. Which UK national park celebrated its 70th anniversary this year?
40. Which country finally opened its borders to visitors in October after the Covid lockdown?
Name the place
41 to 45 Can you name these places from their sketches?
46. Which city will host the Eurovision Song Contest 2023?
47. 2023 will mark the 50th anniversary of Pablo Picasso’s death in Mougins, France, but in which city was he born?
48. Which famous steam engine will celebrate its centenary in 2023?
49. Where will the UK’s first Rewilding Center open next year?
50. Which two countries will co-host the FIFA Women’s World Cup in July/August 2023?
1 virgin 2 Dominican Republic 3 Kent 4 Egypt 5 Koh Phi Phi Leh 6 South Sudan 7 East Timor 8 Chuang 9 Palau 10 Montenegro 11 Sicily 12 Margaret 13 Inishmore (one of the Aran Islands) and Achill, off County Mayo 14 Damascus 15 Rio de Janeiro 16 Doha 17 Toronto 18 Kiev 19 Yemen 20 PINK 21 Louth 22 All are named after people 23 13 24 Estonia 25 Sweden, with 221,800 26 to 30 Emma Watson, France; Eddie Izzard, Yemen; Ben Stokes, New Zealand; Rita Ora, Kosovo (then Yugoslavia); Louis Theroux, Singapore 31 Czech Republic 32 West Bank, Palestine 33 Westminster Abbey 34 Cologne 35 London, by confectioner and baker Tom Smith in the 1840s 36 Hawaii 37 Britain 38 butane 39 The Moors of North York 40 Japan 41 Turkey 42 poland 43 Pakistan 44 Jamaica 45 Egypt 46 Liverpool 47 Málaga, Spain 48 Flying Scotsman 49 Scottish Highlands (on Dundreggan Estate) 50 Australia and New Zealand