The VA-STEP serves as the first step to gaining employment with the VA after graduation and licensure. The student is employed as an intern earning a salary while they learn to develop understanding, confidence and competencies in caring for our nations veterans at a local VA facility under the supervision of a mentor.
VA nurses ensure that veterans receive the high-quality care they need and deserve.
As a VA nurse, you will be responsible for ensuring that our patients receive the best possible treatment, from bedside to case management. The work is challenging, as Veterans often require complex care, providing nurses with a quality learning experience.
VA-STEP is a program for aspiring nurses seeking fulfilling careers that enhance the lives of those who have served our nation. But at the end of the day, you will feel the incomparable fulfillment that comes with improving the lives of people who have proudly served our nation.
- U.S. citizens by birth or naturalization (U.S. veterans are considered first among all eligible applicants).
- Current nursing students who have completed or are within one semester of completing the junior year of their bachelor’s program from a nationally accredited School of Nursing with a CCNE or ACEN Accreditation.
- Be willing to undergo a background/eligibility investigation
- Be willing to come work for the VA after graduation.
- Students will need to be available to work 400 hours prior to graduation from their degree program.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale
- Not required to work anywhere outside VA after graduation.
- Currently in good academic standing (as determined by the school the student attends) leading to graduation and NCLEX certification
VA STEP PROGRAM application
Applicant Registration – VA AMS (intelliworxit.com)
Please use the link provided if you are interested in becoming a VA nurse and serving our Nation’s Heroes.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
Program start date: June 2023
Karen M. Hall, MBA/HCM, BSN, RN
VA Maryland Health Care System
Baltimore, Maryland, 21201
Leave a Reply