A problem with the MV Gay Head is forcing the Steam Authority to play musical ferries just before a busy summer weekend.
“After discovering a small amount of water in the MV Gay Head’s steering gear cavity, a survey of the vessel’s hull revealed a 4-inch crack in the hull at the rear of the vessel,” Sean Driscoll, an SSA spokesman. , he wrote in an email. “Although the crack is above the waterline, the repair will require the vessel to be dry docked at Thames Shipyard in New London, Connecticut, for structural steel replacement. The vessel is now at the Fairhaven Authority’s repair facility and will sail for the Thames on Monday morning.
While Gay Head serves the Hyannis Pass on Nantucket, its absence will also have an impact on the Vineyard Road.
Here are the adjustments the SSA is making to its schedule:
- Following MV Sankaty’s last scheduled round trip on Friday afternoon, the vessel will depart Woods Hole and arrive in Hyannis before completing a round trip to Nantucket.
- MV Sankaty will serve MV Gay Head voyages on the Nantucket route on Saturday and Sunday. The ship is not scheduled to travel on weekends on the Vineyard route, so no trips will be missed.
- On Sunday evening, MV Sankaty will make MV Gay Head’s last scheduled departure from Nantucket at 6:45 p.m., but will sail to Woods Hole instead of Hyannis. The ship will dock in Woods Hole overnight.
- MV Sankaty will make the first two scheduled round trips on the Vineyard route on Monday morning. The third round trip, departing Woods Hole at 11:30 a.m. and departing Vineyard Haven at 12:45 p.m., will be canceled.
- After scheduled arrival in Woods Hole at 11:00 a.m., MV Sankaty will load traffic scheduled to pick up MV Gay Head’s 10:45 a.m. voyage from Hyannis and depart for Nantucket, departing at 11 :15. The Reservations Office will contact those customers scheduled on the 10:45 a.m. trip, which is scheduled as a hazardous materials trip, and tell them to report to Woods Hole.
- The MV Sankaty will then make a round trip between Nantucket and Hyannis, then the scheduled 6:45pm departure from Nantucket to Hyannis will depart Nantucket at 8pm and return to Woods Hole.
- The above schedule will continue until at least Wednesday, August 3. Decisions on future service will be made when more information is received about the timing of repairs needed for the MV Gay Head.
Online bookings are temporarily suspended while our Reservations Office works to contact affected customers and re-book them. Customers with urgent travel needs may call the Reservations Office at (508) 477-8600 for assistance.