Testing for COVID-19 is as important as ever, and New York City has many sites that offer COVID-19 testing at no cost to you, including NYC Health + Hospitals and our mobile testing fleet. Additionally, you can get a free home test kit at any of our partner distribution locations.
All New Yorkers must be tested
NYC Health + Hospitals offers testing in hospitals and mobile units and at-home equipment at libraries, recreation centers and swimming pools in all five boroughs. Just walk in – no appointment necessary!
If you had a PCR test at a NYC Health + Hospitals location, your result will be available in 24 to 72 hours.
The tests are at no cost to you
The tests for COVID-19 are available free of charge to you. Remember, you do not need health insurance to get a COVID-19 test at a NYC Health + Hospitals location.
NYC Health + Hospitals testing sites will never ask about immigration status.
Testing at home
- For immunocompromised New Yorkers and those age 65 and older, home testing is available. To schedule an appointment, call (929) 298-9400 between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., seven days a week.
- If you are using home test kits, see the NYC Department of Health COVID-19: Testing site for tips, how-to videos and information on how to get free tests. Then visit NYC Test & Treat COVID-19 resource page for important information on what to do based on your results, or try ours Quarantine and Isolation Toolkit for COVID-19.
- You can also use our handy guide ‘Tips for taking a test at home’.
Other testing options
- Text “COVID TEST” to 855-48 to find a free testing location near you
- Make an appointment for a free rapid test at a NYC health department COVID Express YOUR
- Call the NYC Test & Treat Corps hotline at 212-COVID19 (212-268-4319) and press 1 after selecting your language
- Talk to your healthcare provider
- If you don’t have a health care provider, you can call NYC Health + Hospitals at 844-NYC-4NYC (844-692-4692) or 311 for help finding one. You can also schedule a virtual visit with a NYC Health + Hospitals provider by visiting ExpressCare and clicking on “Talk to a Doctor Now,” or by calling the NYC Test & Treat Corps hotline at 212-COVID19 (212-268-4319) and press 2 after choosing your language.
While you wait for results
You will generally receive test results in 24 to 72 hours if you were tested at a NYC Health + Hospitals location. Results may take longer on other sites.
While you wait for the results, it is important to continue to take all the necessary steps to protect yourself and others:
- Stay home if you are sick – Go out only for medical care and essential testing or other essential tasks.
- Maintain physical distance – Stay at least 6 meters away from other people.
- Wear a mask – You can be contagious without symptoms. Protect those around you by wearing one suitable mask.
- Keep your hands clean – Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
If you test positive
If you test positive, we want to make sure you know what to do next – how long to self-isolate, notifying close contacts and more. You can find this information at What to do if you test positive our section Sources of COVID-19 page. Or you can try ours Quarantine and Isolation Toolkit for COVID-19 for personalized instructions. After you answer a few short questions, the tool will let you know which isolation guidelines to follow based on your specific circumstances, such as whether or not you have symptoms.