To get TechCrunch’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3pm PDT; Register here.
It’s Friday, and that means…actually, we don’t even really know what that means other than sitting in the sunshine and basking in the warm weather before it’s time. In the next six months, the antipodans are jealous. – Christine And came
TechCrunch’s Top 3
- Fashionably late.: Epic Games distributed computing startup Hadian is so loved that you don’t miss the opportunity to support it. Paul Here’s how Epic landed a $30 million Series A investment and why it has more.
- From bare to acneLife insurance isn’t often a fun topic, but Strava founder Mark Shaw believes he’s found a way to “zhhuzh” with a company that lends to whole life insurance policies. Mary Ann He wrote. The company is now in a $15 million Series A round.
- Health care procurementHealth care is a complex web of doctors, labs and payers that rarely seem connected. Kenyan startup Ponia Health is set to revolutionize its offering in a healthcare marketplace that connects everyone. Annie Reports.
Startups and VCs
The crypto market is flooded with centralized (Binance, FTX) and decentralized ETH based perpetual and alternative trading platforms (Dydx, Opyn, Perpetual Protocol). Nibiru is trying to build the first major decentralized multi-chain solution. The company was co-founded by Gosa Capital GP Arjun Sethi and raised $7.5 million in seed funding at a valuation of $100 million. Manish Reports.
Cloud Kitchen – also known as Ghost Kitchen or Shared Kitchen – provides commercial kitchen space for restaurant owners and food entrepreneurs at discounted rates for food delivery and takeout. CloudEats, a Manila-headquartered startup that operates cloud kitchens in the Philippines and Vietnam, has raised a $7 million Series A round to accelerate the digitization of food services in Southeast Asia. Kate Reports.
Here are a few more…
8 Investors Discuss What to Expect for Reproductive Health Startups in a Post-Ro World
Dominique-Madori Davies surveyed eight investors about the role venture capital can play in this new era of abortion-free Americans.
The Supreme Court’s Dobbs Decision Affects More Than Health Care and Personal Privacy: Will Capital and Talent Flee US States Restricting Reproductive Rights? Will investors support more startups that expand access to health care?
After being given the “tight connection between venture capital and ethics,” Dominique-Madori asked the group how they intended to make an impact—and how they chose to approach entrepreneurs.
- Hessie Jones, Partner, MATR Ventures
- Lisa Calhoun, Gary Peet and William Leonard, Valor Ventures
- Mecca Tartt, Executive Director, Startup Runway
- Ed Zimmerman, Founding Partner, First Close Partners
- Theodora Lau, Founder, Extraordinary Ventures
- McKever Conwell, Founder, RareBreed Ventures
Recently at TechCrunch+:
TechCrunch+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup teams stay ahead of the pack. You can register here.. Use code “DC” for 15% off annual subscription!
Big Tech Inc.
Who knew a baseball simulation game would hold up so well at the height of the pandemic? Game Band certainly did. Amanda He talks to Blaseball makers about how they are building the game for the future.
- Breaking with a new sceneIf you’re a fan of “Breaking Bad,” the show’s creator has announced a new show for Apple TV+. Ivan He wrote.
- Applause back: The California Department of Civil Rights is now reviewing a lawsuit filed by Tesla after a judge refused to dismiss a charge of racial discrimination against the electric car giant. Rebecca It has more.
- New bossFormer Google Ads exec Alan Tigheson has a new gig: serving as Doxing’s new CEO. Ron Reports.
- There is no shortage of supply here.: Jacqueline GM Ventures has announced a new investment in Lithium Recycling, a Canadian battery recycler, to keep the juice flowing for GM’s fleet of electric vehicles.
- Urgent messageElections are being held in Italy on Sunday, and the country is worried about election interference measures, so Facebook sent out a meta message asking for information on how it plans to handle it. Natasha L He wrote.