Ibedrola strongly believes that transitioning to a carbon-neutral economy by 2050 is possible and makes economic sense. Today, the data centers industry has grown exponentially as an integral part of the digital economy and will continue to grow as cloud computing expands. Anticipating the obstacles that arise with such high demand, the Iberdrola International Startup Challenge seeks innovative solutions to increase energy efficiency in data centers.
Discover Iberdrola’s startup challenge to increase energy efficiency in data centers
Simplifying the economy and digital innovation include building new distribution networks to cope with new electricity consumption models. Data centers represent a growing source of energy demand, accounting for 200 terawatt-hours (TWh) per year – about 1% of total global electricity demand. In some areas, such as Ireland, where there are a large number of data centers, this ratio can be as high as 14% of electricity consumption.
In this context, Iberdrola is launching this challenge through PERSEO – Iberdrola’s International Startups program – in collaboration with Schneider Electric and Microsoft.Finding new solutions to increase energy efficiency in data centers and improve the energy use efficiency of utility sites.
What exams can you apply for?
Subtest A – Heat and water recoverySolutions include reusing the heat generated by data centers (hot air flow at 32-40 degrees Celsius) for residential, commercial or industrial processes.
Sub-challenge B – Smart buildingSolutions include intelligent cooperation between different energy management systems such as heat and electricity.
Subtest C – Demand-Side Response SkillsIt includes solutions to provide flexibility and balancing services to grid operators.
Exciting prizes and opportunities await the winners!
Iberdrola is no stranger to working with start-ups and new companies – over the past two years, the team has launched more than 16 startup challenges to solve pressing problems in today’s energy networks. In addition, working with Iberdrola offers a unique opportunity to:
Winning this challenge is rewarded with the signing of a cooperation agreement for the development of a Proof of Concept (PoC). The PoC will be developed in collaboration with experts from Ibedrola, Schneider Electric and Microsoft.
Explore all your benefits:
- Cooperation agreement and trial test: The prize awarded to the winner includes a cooperation and trial agreement with PERSEO or any company of the Iberdrola group. The group supports the cost of the experimental activities.
- Access-all-areas: Iberdrola will provide the winner with all the necessary technical support, as well as a site to test the solution and real data. This includes access to equipment, teams, infrastructure, high-tech spaces and shared workspaces.
- The size of your technologyIf the pilot test is satisfactory, Iberdrola may offer the winner the opportunity to scale up the solution through commercial agreements.
- InvestmentMoreover, PERSEO will consider investing in the participating company and/or the winning bidder.
Key dates for increasing energy efficiency in data centers
Applications are now open for this challenge! Apply now here.
- Deadline for submission of applications: 12 June 2022 (deadline extended!)
- Evaluation period: June 2022
- Pilot project: second half of 2022
How do you make sure you submit a strong application?
The following price proposals will be considered, among others:
- Maturity, reliability and scalability of the solution
- Ease of installation
- Economic Impact (Cost and Revenue) for Data Center Managers
- Improving the efficiency of energy use
- Energy Recovery Efficiency, or ERE, is a measure of heat recovery success
- The applicability of the solution to this and other industries
Proposals should describe what tools and communications are needed to implement your solutions. Your ideas will be analyzed by experts from Ibedrola, Schneider Electric, and Microsoft expert teams, among others.
Ready to decarbonize data centers and scale your innovation solution with Iberdrola? Click here to apply today!
Sharing is caring!