Saints Row’s fast travel mechanic isn’t particularly well explained for such a large game, but it’s based around taking pictures of key items and locations on the map. The sheer size of Saints Row means that traveling can be a chore, even if you’re just knocking over random pedestrians, so a fast travel option is clearly important – the problem is that it’s not obvious how to unlock new fast travel spots and locations in Saints Row, which we’ll cover in more detail below.
How to fast travel in Saints Row
To fast travel in Saints Row to a compatible point they’ve already unlocked, players simply open the map from their phone, hover their icon over the location and hit X/A/LMB (depending on platform) . The player will then fast travel to that location after a quick loading screen. This is something you can basically do whenever you’re not in the middle of a mission, but it’s almost never an option when you’re in the middle of a mission.
Of course, while fast travel doesn’t require Saints Row money to use, it does require compatible fast travel points to go, and that’s where the issues arise…
How to unlock new fast travel points
Some fast travel spots will be unlocked in advance – the apartment from the start of the game and the church headquarters when you enter that few hours into the story, for example. However, most other fast travel points have to be unlocked manually, which is… a process, which we’ve outlined below.
1. As you explore the map, approaching a potential fast travel point will mark it on your map with a yellow train icon. There is almost never more than one fast travel point per region.
2. Head to that train icon when you want to unlock it. There will be a landmark or important object (shown on its map icon).
3. Use your phone to access the camera and take a photo of the landmark (it will be marked through the camera, make sure it is fully in view)
4. If done correctly, it will be marked and the fast travel point will be unlocked, which is now represented as a purple train.
Finding fast travel points
The big problem here is finding fast travel points, as it’s not always obvious, and not every collectible picture in the game is also a fast travel point (it should have the train icon). Constantly explore, try and take different routes to maximize your ground coverage and look for important objects that stand out, even from a distance. It’s a good thing to keep in mind while you’re clearing objectives and side threats for Ventures in Saints Row.
Fast travel photo not working
Fast Travel Photo spots don’t always unlock fast travel when you get them with your camera, which is annoying and can even seem like a bug. However, there are several reasons this could happen (assuming it’s not a bug).
- You have not framed the photo correctly. Make sure you have zoomed in so that the entire object is in view. The box will be highlighted green when it is ready to take the picture.
- It’s a collection of photos, not a fast travel point. Many collections are obtained by photographing them, but not every photographic point GRANTS for fast travel. Make sure it’s marked on the map by the train icon and the Fast Travel label. It’s easy to jump between a Collector’s Photo and a Fast Travel Photo that are in the same area, disconnecting one and confusing it with the other.