Insider experts pick the best products and services to help you make smart decisions with your money (here’s how). In some cases, we receive a commission from our partners, however, our opinions are our own. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page.
- The United℠ Business Card offers an elevated welcome bonus worth up to 150,000 miles for a limited time.
- You can earn 75,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of account opening, plus, earn an additional 75,000 miles after spending a total of $20,000 in purchases in the first 6 months.
- The card offers great benefits including a free first checked bag and priority boarding.
- Read the Insider’s Guide to the Best Airline Credit Cards.
United Airlines flyers have many choices if they are looking for a co-branded credit card. Chase issues a total of six United credit cards, ranging from a version with no annual fee to premium cards with access to the United Club airport lounge.
For small business owners, the United℠ Business Card is a great choice. With a reasonable annual fee of $99, it’s great for frequent and even occasional flyers. And now the record bonus we first saw earlier this year is back: 75,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of account opening, plus, earn an additional 75,000 miles after spending $20,000 in total for purchases in the first 6 months.
The spend requirement to unlock the full bonus is steep, but if you can manage it, the 150,000 miles you’ll earn is worth about $1,950 in flights, based on Insider’s estimate of 1.3 cents per United mile.
United miles are useful even if you don’t fly the airline often because you don’t have to redeem them for United flights. You can also use United miles for award flights on Star Alliance and non-alliance partners, including Air Canada, Lufthansa and Aer Lingus.
We’ve focused here on the rewards and benefits that come with each card. These cards won’t be worth it if you pay interest or late fees. When using a credit card, it’s important to pay your balance in full each month, make payments on time, and only spend what you can afford.
United Business Card: Earn up to 150,000 miles
17.99% – 24.99% Variable
Recommended credit score
Good to Excellent
17.99% – 24.99% Variable
Recommended credit score
Good to Excellent
- Strong United travel benefits, including a free checked bag and priority boarding
- United’s $100 annual travel credit is relatively easy to earn
- Beyond the sign-up bonus, it will take some time to earn a lot of miles through everyday spending on this card
Read our Review
- Earn up to 150,000 bonus miles. Earn 75,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, earn an additional 75,000 miles after you spend $20,000 in total purchases in the first 6 months your account is open.
- Get a bonus 5,000 “better together” miles every anniversary when you have the UnitedSM business card and a Chase United® personal credit card.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United® shopping, dining (including eligible delivery services), gas stations, office supply stores, and local transportation and commuting.
- Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases. Plus, employee cards at no extra cost – miles earned from their purchases are credited to your account so you can earn rewards faster.
- Enjoy a free first checked bag – a savings of up to $140 round trip (conditions apply), 2 United ClubSM passes once a year and priority boarding privileges.
- Get a one-year DashPass, a membership to both DoorDash and Caviar that offers unlimited deliveries with $0 delivery fees and lower service fees on eligible orders. After that, you are automatically enrolled in DashPass at the current monthly fee. Activate by 12/31/24.
- $100 United® travel credit after 7 United® flight purchases of $100 or more each anniversary year.
To qualify for the United℠ Business Card, you’ll need to have a small business—but it doesn’t need to be a large corporation or LLC. If you have a side gig like freelancing, driving for Uber, or hosting on Airbnb, you may qualify for a small business card.
United business card benefits
Along with a great welcome bonus offer, the United℠ business card comes with benefits that can save you money when you fly United, including:
- One free first checked bag ($35 value each way) for the cardholder and one companion on the same reservation (must use the card to pay for your ticket, or taxes and fees for an award ticket)
- Two United Club passes once each card anniversary
- Priority boarding
- 25% back as statement credit on United in-flight purchases
- $100 in United credits after making seven or more United flight purchases of $100 or more each card anniversary year
In addition, cardholders receive a “better together” bonus of 5,000 bonus miles for each card anniversary when they have the United℠ Business Card and a United personal credit card such as United℠ Explorer Card, United Gateway℠ Card, United Club ℠ Infinite Card, or United Quest℠ Card.
The United Business Card℠ also earns bonus miles in a wide variety of categories that can be helpful for small businesses, including 2x miles on United shopping, dining, gas stations, office supply stores and local transportation, and travel to work. All other eligible purchases earn 1 mile per dollar.
If you’re working toward elite status with United, the United℠ Business Card can give you a boost toward your goal. Cardholders earn 500 Premier Qualifying Points (PQPs) for every $12,000 spent on card purchases, up to 1,000 PQPs per calendar year.
In addition to United-specific benefits, the United℠ Business Card comes with a wide range of purchase and travel protections, including primary rental car insurance (when rented for business purposes), baggage delay insurance, reimbursement lost baggage, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, trip delay reimbursement, purchase protection and extended warranty.
You can read about the full range of benefits in our United Business Card review.
How to use United miles
If you meet the full spending requirements to earn the welcome bonus, you’ll have 150,000 United miles (plus at least another 20,000 miles from meeting the card’s minimum spending requirement).
Although United no longer has an official price chart and has switched to dynamic pricing, you can expect to pay anywhere from 5,000 to 30,000 miles for a domestic award flight in economy class and more for flights to other regions. Exact price depends on route, price availability and time of year.
However, a little-known benefit on all United credit cards is the extended availability of rewards. If you have a United card, you’ll see more seats available for saver prices than the general public. This is useful if you’re looking for multiple award flights and can save you a ton of miles.
At the saver level, 150,000 miles combined should be enough for at least two round-trip economy flights to Europe or Asia, or multiple round-trip flights within North America.
Which United Credit Card Is Right For You?
The United℠ Business Card has the highest welcome bonus of any United card right now, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best deal for everyone — especially since the minimum spending requirement is so high. Here’s a comparison between the United℠ Business Card and other United cards with strong welcome bonuses and benefits:
If you don’t fly United often enough to take advantage of the specific benefits of these United cards, but still want to earn United miles, cards that earn transferable Chase Ultimate Rewards® points are also worth looking into. When you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred®, Chase Sapphire Reserve® or Ink Business Preferred® credit card, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points to United at a 1:1 ratio — as well as to over a dozen other Chase transfer partners .
Be sure to read the Insider’s Guide to Earning, Redeeming, and Maximizing Chase Ultimate Rewards Points to find out how to get the most out of your rewards.