BOISE, IDAHO – Amalgamated Sugar Company earlier this month celebrated 125 years in the sugar business.
What is now Blended Sugar began with the Ogden Sugar Company in 1897 in Ogden, Utah. Today, more than 700 Amalgamated Sugar cooperative members grow sugar beets on about 180,000 acres in Idaho, Oregon and Washington, the company says. The sugar they produce is processed at Idaho plants in Twin Falls, Paul and Nampa – all of which reflect the company’s long history. The Twin Falls factory has been in operation since 1916, Paul—now called the Mini-Cassia Factory—since 1917, and Nampa since 1942.
“I like to compare our factories to restored classic cars,” said John McCreedy, President & CEO. “They may look old on the surface, but when you open the hood, you see a very modern and powerful engine.”
The facilities produce about 2.2 billion pounds of sugar each year.
The company has a full history on its website, with photos and reflections on its history and present, including its manufacturing capabilities and its philanthropic ventures.
Mixed Sugar Timeline
- 1897 – The Ogden Sugar Company was incorporated in Ogden, Utah, with a factory built the following year.
- 1902 – Ogden Sugar and Logan Sugar consolidated to form Amalgamated Sugar Company LLC. Four days later, Amalgamated Sugar acquired Oregon Sugar Company and became The Amalgamated Sugar Company LLC.
- 1916 – Amalgamated Sugar builds a new factory in Twin Falls, Idaho. This facility is the oldest of the Company’s factories still in operation today.
- 1917 – Another plant is built in Paul, Idaho and begins operation. This factory is known as the Mini-Cassia factory and is still in operation today.
- 1934 – Blended Sugar acquires the White Satin trademark to use in marketing its sugar.
- 1942 – The Nampa, Idaho plant is built and begins operations.
- 1990 – Blended Sugar is recognized as the second largest processor of sugar beets in the United States.
- 1997 – Beet growers join together to form the Snake River Sugar Company (a cooperative) to purchase and operate Blended Sugar.
- 2021 – Snake River Sugar Company and The Amalgamated Sugar Company LLC combine to create a grower-owned cooperative, now called The Amalgamated Sugar Company.
- 2022 – Today, Amalgamated Sugar processes sugar beets grown on 180,000 acres in Idaho, Oregon and Washington and produces 2.2 billion pounds of sugar annually.
Leave a Reply