To get TechCrunch’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3pm PDT; Register here.
Did you know that TechCrunch Live is on a shiny new platform? We’ve even made it easy to enter our two-minute pitch practice class. You can now apply for Pitch Practice any day, any time by filling out this form. We will select starters 24 hours prior to that week’s event and notify you via email.
TechCrunch’s Top 3
- A new way to save for a rainy day: Banking for startups, SaaS startups to be exact, is popular, and Mary Ann He brings us the story of the W22 Y Combinator Grand Arch, which raised $20 million in Series A capital to borrow, save and spend. Arch, she writes, is providing a way to “turn future earnings into upfront capital.” And startups are on board. Since emerging from obscurity earlier this year, the company now boasts over 1,000 customers.
- One meta, two meta, three metaHorizon Worlds, the meta social platform for virtual reality, is saying “bonjour” and “bonus dias” to France and Spain respectively. Ivan Reports. Meta has also been busy rolling out new Reels features on Instagram and Facebook today. Aisha writes, and the company partnered with DoorDash to test Facebook Marketplace items; Lauren Reports.
- As seen on ShopifyWhether you’re a creator or a merchant looking for a new sales and marketing channel to partner with independent businesses and earn some extra cash, Shopify’s new “Shopify Collabs” offering is compelling. Aisha He wrote.
Startups and VCs
Some people have asked themselves. How Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes lost investors and is facing jail time, and Adam Neumann, who founded WeWork, lost $11 billion but raised $350 million for his new startup. The answer is very clear – Neumann was not accused of fraud even though he burned 10x more money. Natasha M And Anita Take a closer look at how the tech industry is responding to the 16z-backed return to real estate by Adam Neumann. as well as, This He made us play for fun.
Apopos Natasha M — The Equity Group has put together a comprehensive collection of six talks that will address the wave of tech deregulation. It’s a great reminder of both the set of ways of thinking about equity and the macroeconomic context of layoffs.
Okay, well, here are a few more:
How should Web3 companies approach fundraising during a downturn?
Most Web3 startups are in the same leaky boat: they haven’t hit the product market yet, hiring technical talent is difficult at best, and many of the same investors who were eager to take their call a year ago are wooing them today.
Thirsty hikers who know where to look can still find water, but Galaxy E CEO Jenny K. Ta.
In a TC+ guest post, she offers ideas for approaching angels, accelerators, and traditional VCs, along with some tips to help Web3 entrepreneurs get started.
“Don’t let anxiety call you the shot. This too shall pass, but do not waste time.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup teams get ahead. You can register here..)
Big Tech Inc.
Indian telecommunications providers began blocking Videolan’s website in February. You may know them as the developer of the popular media player VLC. Manish Speaking to the company’s president and lead developer, Jean-Baptiste Kempf, he said that by continuing to block the website, the country is giving its citizens no choice but to “shadow websites that run hacked versions of VLC. So with this ban, they are putting their own citizens at risk.”
If you want to fall for photos of new cars, Polestar will make your motor with the new electric vehicle road leader Polestar 6, which has a hard-top convertible and a recycled polyester suit. Jacqueline Reports. Sorry, but you’ll have to wait four years for this one.
- qua quaWalmart’s last-mile delivery service business, Walmart GoLocal, announced today that it has logged more than 1 million deliveries in its first year. Sarah He wrote. Next goal? To reach 5,000 discharge points by the end of this year.
- Oops, hackers have done it again.: DigitalOcean has revealed that some of its customers’ email addresses were recently exposed to a “security vulnerability” created by Mailchimp. Carly Reports. This new revelation comes just months after Mailchimp suffered another breach.
- It only takes one snowball to start snowballing: Alex We predicted we were getting close to some good IPO filings, and Digit Insurance has filed today, announcing it has filed for a $440 million IPO. Manish Reports.
- Who’s calling?We went from Mailchimp emails to Signal phone numbers. Carly The company said the breach at Twilio exposed nearly 2,000 of its customers’ phone numbers and SMS verification codes.